Hello all, sorry it has been so long for my first "real" post. I have two things rolling around in my head that I want to talk about. First is scripture memorization. I have not memorized a great deal of scripture but I find that when I do memorize verses those verses spring to mind and seem applicable in many situations. This got me to thinking if these few I have memorized are helpful in so many ways as soon as I learn them then that means the situations was already there I was just prepared with my sword*. So if I learn more verses and commit more to memory then I will be a better warrior because my sword* will be sharper. I am sure many of you got to this realization a long time ago but for me it was a new thing.
Second and ,please bear with me on this cause my feelings here are hard to put into words, there is this whole thing about teaching 7th graders Islam. I am pretty against it. I have friends who think its fine because Christianity is stronger, and grace outshines their law, and because all religions should be taught and because it's not really as bad as it seems we don't know what's going on in the classroom. I think all of those are not really good reasons. Jesus is to be our guide and if he found someone telling children to pray to Allah I don't think he would be cool with it. Now first Christianity is stronger. Totally agree with you the problem with this argument is that they are not teaching them side by side in compare and contrast and there is no way to ensure that a teacher doesn't teach all about Islam and it's five pillars and it's prayers and it's little prayer mats and about the Koran and all that Islam entails and then teach only the crusades when it comes to Christianity. If there were some way to ensure that Jesus and the cross and the resurrection and the great commission and the love and mercy and grace extended by Jesus, were taught with equal clarity and fervor then I would be less objectionable. I doubt that to be the case simply because if it were being taught I have no doubt the atheists would be having a fit.
Next all religions should be taught, this is kinda ok. I have no problem with a very brief overview of the top three or four religions of the world Islam is one of these. But the worksheets I have seen were not brief overviews they were a little more in depth.
Last we don't know what is going on in the classroom, this one is upsetting to me. If requested we should be able to see the upcoming or past worksheets pertaining to Christianity and I have seen nor heard about any. If you have a copy please link it in the comments. Am I jumping the gun on judging what is being taught by saying I don't like it? Probably but I would chose to err on the side of caution then find out later my child was being indoctrinated.
There is one other point I failed to mention above and this is the parents saying "Well I will be paying attention and we can talk about it and it will be great for raising questions and creating faith discussions." If you talk to your kids that is true. I have no doubt that my pastor friends talk to their kids and this will not really be a problem for their children I am more concerned with little Jimmy** down the street and Daisy** who rides the bus whose parents aren't very attentive so they have questions they don't know who to ask so they ask a teacher who give a secular or Muslim answer and then they convert because they don't understand. Some kids sadly don't get what they need at home and Satan is waiting for them.
Perhaps at an older age it would be more appropriate. Though in a college class I was required to attend on the day the teacher had asked the two Muslim students to present their religion but was told when I asked to present Christianity that it was covered in the book so I couldn't. It just really seems like since 9/11 we are bending over backwards to make sure Muslims or Islam is accepted and while I don't think we should be mean to the people I will not accept Islam as it is a false teaching and I would prefer that a public school not be teaching it to my children in a way that I cannot control as they do the theory of evolution and so many other things. I may be wrong please voice your opinions in the comments but that is how I feel about it.
I apologize for any and all English mistakes but I am trying to write from the heart and not from the technical side of things. Please let me know your thoughts.
*The Bible is referred to as the Sword of the Spirit in Ephesians 6:17
**Jimmy and Daisy are not real people they are merely used to illustrate a point.
No comments:
Post a Comment